Monday, April 8, 2013

Lead Your Family Like Jesus: A Book Review

About The Book:

Does your family need a five-star general at the helm? A psychologist? A referee? Ken Blanchard, best-selling co-author of The One Minute Manager and Lead Like Jesus, points to a better role model: the Son of God. Joined by veteran parents and authors Phil Hodges and Tricia Goyer, renowned business mentor Blanchard shows how every family member benefits when parents take the reins as servant-leaders. Moms and dads will see themselves in a whole new light—as life-changers who get their example, strength, and joy from following Jesus at home. This user-friendly book’s practical principles and personal stories mark the path to a truly Christ-centered family, where integrity, love, grace, self-sacrifice, and forgiveness make all the difference.

About The Authors:

Tricia Goyer is a best-selling author of more than thirty novels, including Night Song and Dawn of a Thousand Nights. She has also written nine nonfiction books and more than three hundred articles for national publications. Tricia has been interviewed by Focus on the Family, Moody Radio's Midday Connection, The Harvest Show, NBC's Montana Today, and Aspiring Women, and has made hundreds of other radio and television appearances. She and her husband, John, have four children.


Ken Blanchard: Leadership expert and author of over 50 books, including the New York Times bestseller, The One-Minute Manager®; cofounder of Lead Like Jesus; and coauthor of Lead Like Jesus; Lessons from the Greatest Leadership Role Model of All Time.
Phil Hodges: A human resource and industrial relations manager in corporate America for 36 years with Xerox Corporation and U.S. Steel, co-founder of Lead Like Jesus; co-author of five books, including Lead Like Jesus, The Servant Leader and Leadership by the Book with Bill Hybels.
My Review:
Oh were to begin to share how much this book has changed me, challenged me and encouraged me as a Mom After God's Own Heart! As a member of the Launch Team for this book release, I knew going in that I would enjoy it because Tricia Goyer is one of my favorite authors. However, I had no idea the true impact this book would make on me!
As you read through Lead Your Family Like Jesus, you will journey through these 12 principles. Each of these principles are divided into four sections.
Part One: The Heart
1. To Lead Like Jesus, Have an Eternal Perspective
2. To Lead Like Jesus, Be Humble
3. To Lead Like Jesus, Focus on God - Not Others
Part Two: The Head
4. To Lead Like Jesus, Discover Your Family's Mission and Take It On
5. To Lead Like Jesus, Say Yes to the Best and No to the Rest
6. To Lead Like Jesus, Know the Difference between a Crisis and a Bump in the Road
Part Three: The Hands
7. To Lead Like Jesus, Make the Most of the Childrearing Years
8. To Lead Like Jesus, Help Kids Succeed
9. To Lead Like Jesus, Inspire Obedience, Not Rebellion
Part Four: The Habits
10. To Lead Like Jesus, Stay on Track by Staying Close to Him
11. To Lead Like Jesus, Meet Challenges by Meeting with Him
12. To Lead Like Jesus, Turn Mistakes into Opportunities Through Forgiveness and Grace
Often when I read a parenting book, I tend to find myself feeling guilty, like I should have it more "together" as a mom and wife.  I am not a perfect parent and don't ever pretend to be, but many times, well-intentioned authors make me feel like I am taking two steps back versus going forward. This was NOT the case as I read through Lead Your Family Like Jesus. 
With personal stories, tons of scripture references, and tips for the journey we call parenting, I felt so encouraged as I read. I admit as I read there were moments were I thought, "I'm not a good mom, I don't do what this author does," but I quickly realized that pride was getting in the way of learning. I put the book down and just prayed that God would take that pride and turn it into teaching me ways to be a better parent, wife and woman.  And wow, did He! He has given the authors of this book amazing gifts for writing in ways that are personal, like you are sitting and having coffee with them. I loved how the authors each took turns writing the chapters, and at times co-writing chapters. 
My very favorite section was Part Four: The Habits. It allowed me to see that often I don't take enough time to really dig deep and grow in my own relationship with God, all the while trying to teach and guide my children in theirs.  While I do get involved with a weekly Women's Bible Study through one of our local churches during the Fall and Winter, and through that I dig deep in study, during the Spring and Summer months this deeper study definitely falls off the band wagon to be sure. 
As as result of being challenged while reading this book, I am going to find a Bible Study to do over the next few weeks and keep myself accountable through my husband. I own several that I have skimmed but never really picked one to go through. Now is that time! I am pledging to myself to spend 45 minutes daily in a Bible Study/Quiet Time so that I am not only reading the Bible but really learning to apply what I am reading. Particularly now that I don't have an in person study to keep me accountable.
Here are a few of my favorite quotes from Lead Your Family Like Jesus (I love to highlight and underline in books, and this one is no exception! I think I used most highlighter colors known to man!)
"We parents can try to give and serve in our own strength, but we won't get very far. It's His heart we're striving for. When we find His heart, He will transform ours. We can turn to Him during the hardest times of family life, and He'll be there, giving us the peace to make it through - and reminding us what's most important" - page 15
""Instead of making decisions because of peer pressure - or in order to look good - we need to have our kids join us in loving and serving others "as if you were serving the Lord, not men" (Eph 6:7). Worship isn't just about singing praises on Sundays; it's about living lives that glorify God every day of the week" - page 41
"Influencing hearts for generations is the true purpose of our parenting" - page 74
"Remember whose you are and who you are"
"The reality is that most of us spend little, if any, time in solitude. Yet if we don't, how can God have a chance to talk with us?" - page 142
Don't you just love these quotes? 
This book has blown me away! I have already told many people about it and I know its one that I will recommend for all of my friends who are new parents (what a great baby shower gift idea!)
Over the next 14 days, I am making a goal to take solitude every day to allow God to talk to me and teach me as a mom. I will write a post in two weeks and let know how the 14 days went! 
Check out the official Lead Your Family website for great resources!
If you are looking for a parenting book that will challenge you yet encourage you, regardless of where you are in your season of parenting, you NEED to read Lead Your Family Like Jesus!
I highly recommend this book and give it a huge thumbs up!
BUY IT: You can purchase Lead Your Family Like Jesus online at Amazon. It is also available through your local Christian bookseller.
***I received a complimentary copy of this book, courtesy of Litfuse Publicity Group, for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***

No comments:

Post a Comment